The website shall operate under the auspices of the Area 78 E-Services Committee. This committee is responsible for determining the site’s content and appointing trusted servants to manage its administration.
- A web master may be appointed (or hired as needed) to manage the technical aspects of the web site and to provide consultation expertise as needed. The Web Master is responsible to the E-Services committee.
- Two volunteer web content administrators (web admins) will be appointed to manage the day-to-day maintenance of the Web site content. Experience indicates that managing the site content, keeping local meeting information and other postings current can be time-consuming if only one person is responsible for doing so. This also provides some built-in redundancy in that one web admin can back up the other when he/she is unavailable to perform necessary website updates.
- Keeping in mind that adherence to our Traditions and Concepts overrides the need to have technical expertise; an effort will be made to sponsor volunteers into the position of web administrator. We need trusted servants who know how we must work together in order to make a website an effective communication tool.
- The web administrators must have access to a personal computer and the internet. It is suggested that they have at least one year of sobriety.
- The web admins serve for a term of two years but may be reappointed for one additional, consecutive term of two years.
- The E-Services chair (or his proxy) and web admins are authorized to make changes to the Website as deemed necessary within the limitations of these guidelines.
- The E-Services Committee shall regularly canvass the membership of the Area 78 Assembly to ascertain whether the website is fulfilling its purpose.
- These guidelines may be revised upon approval of the voting membership of the Area 78 Assembly at the semi-annual scheduled business meetings.
- The E-Services Committee will employ a web hosting company to host the website and provide email services. The chair of this committee will act as the primary contact and liaison to the hosting company. The E-Service chair must provide the necessary credit card information to be kept on file with the web host company for the period of their rotation.
- The E-Services Committee will employ a web domain registration company to manage the domain registration for area78.org. The chair of this committee will act as a contact to the domain registration company. The E-Service chair must provide the necessary credit card information to be kept on file with the domain registration company for the period of their rotation.
- At the end of their term, the outgoing E-Services Chair shall provide the incoming Chair with a document containing valid server information. This shall include, but not be limited to, URLs, passwords, and security information items. The outgoing Chair shall also facilitate any necessary change with the hosting provider and domain registration company to change billing information, or introduce the new Chair as a contact and liaison for the Area 78 website and domain.
- The Website shall be registered with Area 78 in the domain name: area78.org.
- The domain organization will be "Area 78 Assembly" and all domain contact information will be kept private. Email sent to the privacy proxy will be forwarded to email@example.com.
- The billing contact will be the E-Services committee chair, who is responsible for renewal of the domain name and hosting services.
- The technical contact for the Website's Internet Service Provider is either the E-Services chair, or his appointed proxy.
- Technical access to the website will be limited to the following: the E-Services chair (or appointed proxy), the web master, and the web administrators.
- A website is a way of communicating to the world who we are and what we do. We must be all-inclusive, technically user friendly, and ensure confidentiality and member anonymity.
- The web site shall serve as a communication tool for the Alberta/Northwest Territories General Service Conference Committee by providing approved, publicly available information about Alcoholics Anonymous to:
- the public (including those who need AA and are searching for help)
- the media
- the AA fellowship
- The Website shall present information to enable the still-suffering alcoholic to make direct, face-to-face contact with Alcoholics Anonymous, and to provide information regarding the service structure in Area 78.
The website shall be operated by the E-Services Website Committee of the Area 78 Assembly and shall present only approved, publicly available information about AA. The approval required for any information is commensurate with the delegated responsibility for the information (Concept X).
In keeping with AAs 12 Traditions, the Website shall:
- NOT publish any member’s telephone number or email address that identifies the first and last name of the member.
- NOT publish an individual’s full name or identifiable picture.
- NOT present any affiliation, endorsement, display of or link to any non-A.A. entity
- Shall be funded exclusively by the Area 78 Assembly and cannot accept funds from any other source.
- Shall operate under the auspices of the E-Services Committee of the Area 78 Assembly. Each new committee shall form a corresponding Website Committee which is responsible for determining the site’s content. The Website Committee will consist of the Chair, the two web administrators, a DCM, a GSR, and a member at large. All positions (except the chair) are appointed by the Committee and are for the duration of that committee’s tenure.
- District Committee Members (DCMs) may request the addition or removal of any or all group information for groups within their District from the Website at any time.
- A District Committee Member (DCM), Group Service Representative (GSR), group primary/secondary contact, or group Intergroup representative may request the addition, change, or removal of their group information from the Website at any time.
- Announcements of AA events to be posted on the Website shall be submitted to the web admins by the host of the event, using the Calendar feature "Post An Event".
- In the spirit of anonymity, and keeping with the wishes of the Alberta/Northwest Territories General Service Conference committee, any submission that does not adhere to these guidelines shall not be accepted by the web admins until amended.
The website shall contain content as deemed appropriate by the E-Services Website Committee.
- To facilitate the operation of the website within the Traditions of A.A., the E-Services chair (or appointed proxy) shall maintain a method for sending emails to Table Officers, Committee Chairs, and DCMs anonymously. Email addresses may be set up to route communication to the member’s own private email client, or the member will be set up to access their Area 78 account directly.
- General Service Representatives (GSRs) or District Committee Members (DCMs) may request the addition, editing, or removal of group information from the website meeting list at any time.
- Voting members of the Area 78 Assembly may submit announcements of AA events within or connected to Area 78, to be posted on the website, by using the "Post An Event" feature under the main Calendar item.