The purpose of the Area 78 website shall be to assist Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) in Area 78 to carry the message of A.A. and to provide information about the A.A. fellowship to:
- the public,
- the media
- the A.A. fellowship.
The website shall present information to enable the still-suffering alcoholic to make direct, face-to-face contact with Alcoholics Anonymous, and to provide information regarding the service structure in Area 78.
The Website shall be a Public Information vehicle of the Area 78 Assembly and shall present only approved, publicly available information about A.A. The approval required for any information is commensurate with the delegated responsibility for the information (Concept X).
In keeping with 12 Traditions, the Website shall NOT:
- Publish any member’s telephone number or email address that identifies the first and last name of the member.
- Publish an individual’s full name or identifiable picture.
- Present any affiliation, endorsement, display of or link to any non-A.A. entity
- The website shall be funded exclusively by the Area 78 Assembly and cannot accept funds from any other source.
- The website shall operate under the auspices of the Public Information (P.I.) Committee of the Area 78 Assembly. Each new PI committee shall form a corresponding website committee which is responsible for determining the site’s content. The website committee will consist of the PI Chair, a past delegate, the web master, a DCM, a GSR, and a member at large. The last 3 positions are appointed by the PI Committee and are for the duration of that committee’s tenure.
The P.I. Committee is also responsible for filling the following positions:
- A webmaster will be appointed to manage the technical aspects of the web site and to provide consultation expertise to the P.I. committee as needed; this is an appointed position (as selected by the P.I. Committee) and is not a Committee Chair position. The Webmaster is responsible to the committee and the groups served. The selected Webmaster must be ratified by the General Assembly, and re-affirmed at the bi-annual Election Assembly. This position is assigned the expense account formerly assigned to the discontinued Web Servant position.
- An alternate webmaster may be appointed as necessary to provide backup to the webmaster or to transition to that position over time.
- Two web content administrators will be appointed to manage the day-to-day maintenance of the Web site content. Experience indicates that managing the site content, keeping local meeting information and other postings current can be time-consuming if only one person is responsible for doing so. The two web administrators may manage the website content from a geographical perspective, one being responsible for content coming from the northern region and the other the southern region. This also provides some built-in redundancy in that one web admin can back up the other when he/she is unavailable to perform necessary website updates.
- The webmaster and web administrators (trusted servants) are authorized to make changes to the Website as deemed necessary within the limitations of these guidelines.
- The P.I. Committee shall regularly canvass the general membership of the Area 78 Assembly to ascertain whether the website is fulfilling its purpose.
- These guidelines may be revised upon approval of the voting membership of the Area 78 Assembly at a regularly scheduled business meeting.