NOTE: This document can be copied or printed from here by clicking on this link to open Criteria for Hosting ACM Guidelines.pdf. From there you can print a copy or save to your computer in PDF format.
Presentations to host the January or May Area Committee Meeting (ACM) will be voted upon at the March Pre-Conference Assembly. Please come prepared. You might wish to make a verbal presentation, or perform a skit, song, or anything else you think will persuade us to vote for your district to host it. Please keep the presentation to a 10 minute maximum and include the below criteria in it. The criteria to host the January or May Area Committee Meeting are as follows:
- It is important that a representative from both successful hosting Districts meet with the Area 78 Chair following the Bid Activity of the March Assembly, to exchange contact information, etc.
- It’s further recommended that the hosting Districts work with the current Chair before making any firm commitments with a meeting facility or hotel or caterer.
- The rotation of the Area Committee meetings is considered a way to promote Area 78 unity, participation and understanding of Area 78 business practice. We ask the successful bid committee to communicate to their members that they are welcome to attend the ACM session, without registration cost. The voting members of the Area Committee are all Area 78 District Committee Members (DCM), Area Committee Chairs & Area Table Officers. The host district will be required to chair the DCM’s Friday night Meeting.
- Facility requirement is a main meeting place with capacity for 60-100 members with tables & chairs – and wheelchair accessibility - to accommodate the same numbers. If possible community centres and church halls are preferred because the rates tend to be more reasonable but hotel/motel facilities can be used (please note wheelchair accessibility). The ACM will probably start the third Friday in January and May (excluding long weekends) around 5:00 PM and end the following day (Saturday) at about 5:30 PM. Please contact Area 78 Chairperson for all scheduling . We expect there to be questions from the hosting District.
- The main meeting space requires a head table to seat 5 Table Officers. The District is also responsible to supply a podium and 2 microphones - one for the podium and a floor microphone. Area committees require 9 tables and chairs to display their committee information, and one registration table with two chairs, just inside the meeting room entrance. These tables, room permitting, should be in the main meeting space but can be located in the hallway or front entrance of the main hall. For Friday night and Saturday an additional meeting room is required to seat 20 people, boardroom-style if possible.
- Area 78 budgets approximately $700 for each Area Committee Meeting (January & May), to cover appropriate expenses for hall rental, equipment, coffee etc. There is no expectation for a district to incur expenses for hosting an ACM; we ask the bid committee not to exceed the budgeted amount
- Host District should supply coffee/tea etc. for both days but are not required to supply lunch or dinner.
- It’s Host District’s choice to supply lunch or supper for an Area Committee Meeting
- If the hosting District chooses to supply lunch, supper or both, the District may decide to collect a 7th Tradition, to offset costs incurred for the food, etc.
- Any monies collected from a 7th Tradition could be used for the District to offset meal costs, or could be donated to Area 78; this is a decision to be made by the hosting District
- If no food is supplied during or after the Area Committee Meeting, please provide a list of food outlets that will be available near the meeting hall.
- If there is a speaker planned after the Area Committee Meeting (keeping in mind this is a service event), it is suggested that the host District ask an Area Table Officer, Area Committee Chair or a Past Area Delegate to be the speaker
- Volunteers are needed for set up and take down of tables and chairs plus final cleanup after event. Registration table & refreshment area also need 2 volunteers each.
- The District would need to verify that at least 50 hotel/motel rooms would be available for Area Committee Officers and District Committee Members. This involves phoning a hotel in the vicinity of the meeting hall, to ask if 50 rooms “would be available for future booking” during the ACM dates. NOTE: The hosting District should not book rooms for the Area Committee Officers. This is the responsibility of the Area Chair.
- Please have the financial information and amenities (i.e. continental breakfast) of the participating hotel/motel available with your presentation.